August 05, 2008

Jeanne Marie Leach

.

Jeanne Marie Leach

Author * Speaker * Freelance Fiction Editor * Writing Coach

www.jeannemarieleach.com

I am a published author and freelance editor, who lives in the mountains of Colorado with my husband of 34 years and our two, large Alaskan Malamutes. I teach classes to beginning writers, and this summer I taught a course on editing fiction to a group of editors. As a speaker, I cover a variety of topics geared toward women’s ministry groups. I became the 46th

member of the American Christian Fiction Writers (ACFW) and am a contributing member of The Christian PEN; Proofreaders and Editors Network (TCP).

My hobbies include show shoeing, hiking, biking, Jeeping, scrapbooking, winning the local annual chili cook off, reading, interior decorating, buying and selling on eBay, and my hubby and I are season ticket holders to the Denver Broncos.

As a writer, I am often asked how I got started writing, so I thought I’d tell my story here. All my adult life I'd been daydreaming different stories. I'd play out the lives of my characters over a period of six months to a year. When I was about 40 years old, I became concerned that I was spending too much time in my make-believe world, so I finally got up the nerve to tell my Clinical Psychologist father-in-law about my 'problem'.

He leaned forward in his chair, the prominent wrinkles between his eyebrows becoming even more pronounced. "Do you envision yourself doing bad things to these characters?"

"Well, sometimes bad things happen - like car accidents, or someone tripping and breaking their leg."

"No, I mean do YOU actually perpetrate bad things to these characters?"

I'm sure my eyes grew wide as saucers by then. "No!" I shook my head vehemently. "These are merely stories that I invent."

He let out a breath of relief. I could tell because the wrinkles went back to their normal depth. Dad relaxed against the back of his chair. "The only difference between you and a writer is that a writer writes these stories down."

A writer? Could it be...?

So, I sat at the computer and started to write. Ten books later, it was my husband's turn to influence me. He looked at me one day and said, "If you don't start sending those books out to a publisher, I'm revoking your computer privileges. The amount of time you spend there on this 'hobby' of yours is ridiculous. There needs to be a purpose to all of this."

Submit my 'babies' for someone else to read? Is this the type of stuff people want to read? So, thus began my writing career.

NEW!!! I am excited to announce my Christian historical western, The Plight of Mattie Gordon, has just been released on audio book by Books In Motion. You can listen to a clip at http://www.booksinmotion.com/THE_PLIGHT_OF_MADDIE_GORDON_By_JEANNE_MARIE_LEACH_p/-978-1-60548-174-6.htm. You can also order the book from there. I’m not sure it can make it in time for Christmas, but it would make a great gift for anyone who loves to listen to audio books.
















1 comment:

Edna said...

Your book sounds so great I would love to win a copy if you have a contest. I love to read at night as I sleep late in the mornings. I am 66 and semi disabled so I can't do a lot. I play on the internet during the day and read at night,

May God Bless