March 08, 2008

Billy Coffey


Writer ~ Billy Coffey

Billy can be found at:
http://www.billycoffey.blogspot.com


Billy, what do you write?


I write inspirational Christian nonfiction, mostly by means of the anecdotal essay.


Where have you been published? (magazines, your column, etc)


I currently write columns for both the Staunton, VA News Leader and Open Roads magazine. I’ve also recently been asked to become a feature writer for HighCallingBlogs.com, and I’ve just signed a syndication contract with Churchmouse Publications.


What do you want your readers to come away with after reading your writing?


The vast majority of my writing deals with the everyday; work, family, and friends always provide great subject matter. But even greater subjects are the little moments in our days that can easily be overlooked but still have great meaning if we simply take the time to find it.


If I could give my readers anything, it would be the idea that each of our lives is touched by the Divine, that every day carries with it a purpose only we can fulfill, and that every moment is a holy moment.


Who are your favorite authors and why?


I was a senior in high school when one of my teachers recommended Max Lucado, and I’ve been hooked ever since. He has such a great way of communicating spiritual truths in simple language.


E.B. White’s essays are also favorites. I love the fact that one of America’s greatest writers agonized over every word, worried about every rejection, and felt that nothing he ever finished was “just right.” Just like the rest of us.


I’ve read my copies of Robert Fulghum’s books so much that the covers are nearly gone. Though I disagree with much of his theology, I love both the way he writes and his innate curiosity for life.


What's your favorite children's book?


It’s amazing to me how children’s books can be so full of wisdom. I realized that when my own children were born and I began reading bedtime stories to them. A.A. Milne’s Winnie the Pooh and the creations of Dr. Seuss are works of genius in my humble opinion. But my favorite has to be The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-ExupĂ©ry.


Storytelling doesn’t get much better than that.


You can subscribe to Billy's blog at:

http://www.billycoffey.blogspot.com

.

1 comment:

Edna said...

you are a new author to me and I would love to win one of your books,


mamat2730(at)charter(dot)net