November 20, 2008

A Woman Called Sage

.
by DiAnn Mills

Howdy all you cowpokes and cowgirls! I’m currently writing my next historical A Woman Called Sage for Zondervan. This gal’s a bounty hunter and she’s tough. But she’s all woman too.
Oh, I hear what you’re saying--mumbling . . . There were no female bounty hunters in the 19th century. But I beg to differ with you! Sage is alive and real on the pages of my novel. Just ask her. Although I’m not so sure I’d want to rile her, but you go right ahead. She does real well with a pair of Colts and a Winchester.
I’ve put together a little interview with Sage and thought you might enjoy some of her responses. If you have any additional questions, stick it in the comments and I’ll see if she’ll give you an answer.
DiAnn: What’s your full name?
Sage: Sage Elizabeth Morrow
DiAnn: When does A Woman Called Sage open?
Sage: You should know. You’re writing it, but it’s 1878.
DiAnn: What else can you tell me about yourself?
Sage: What do you need it for?
DiAnn: To share with my readers.
Sage: How’s come Terry Burns isn’t interviewing me?
DiAnn: It’s not his turn, and this is my story.
Sage: Oh, you’re a bit feisty. Good. I like that.
DiAnn: Can we get back to you?
Sage: Sure.
DiAnn: Where are you now?
Sage: In the Rocky Mountains in a town called Rocky Falls. It’s not a real place, but it’s close to Estes Park.
DiAnn: How did you become a bounty hunter?
Sage: If I tell you that, will your readers still want to read about me?
DiAnn: I think so.
Sage: The question isn’t how. It’s why. I saw men murder my husband, and the local law wouldn’t do anything about it. Made me mad. Real mad.
DiAnn: So you’re looking for the killers?
Sage: Wouldn’t you? Oh, I forget you live in the age of modern technology. You’d get Online and hire a private detective.
DiAnn: Can you tell us anything about the hero?
Sage: Maybe his name. Everything else is personal. A woman does have a right to her privacy. His name is Parker Moses Timmons.
DiAnn: What’s he do?
Sage: Pressing your luck, aren’t you? All right, he’s a sheriff. And I normally don’t like sheriff’s, but he’s different. Read the book, you’ll see.
DiAnn: Anything unusual about you?
Sage: I love animals, and I have a pet hawk. Goes with me everywhere. Did you know that a hawk can see a mouse from a mile away?
DiAnn: Thanks for the info. What’s the hawk’s name?
Sage: Hawk
DiAnn: Does your horse have a name?
Sage: I don’t ride a horse. I ride an Indian pony. His name is Pony.
DiAnn: Figures.
Sage: What?
DiAnn: Never mind. What do you wear?
Sage: Men’s clothes. Sigh I do remember the days of pretty dresses and ribbons and bonnets.
DiAnn: Do you intend to be a bounty hunter forever.
Sage: At least to the end of the book.
DiAnn: Any advice to our readers who envision a career as a bounty hunter?
Sage: It’s a lonely job—like a writer. Make sure you can ride a horse. Do the target practice thing. Learn how to trail an outlaw. Make sure you know the difference between edible plants and poisonous ones. And don’t fall in love.
DiAnn: Thank you, Sage, for allowing us to be a part of your life.
Sage: Oh, this is nothing. Wait ‘till the book comes out.
DiAnn: And when can readers purchase A Woman Called Sage?
Sage: Zondervan’s releasing it in April 2010. You might want to repeat this interview before then. Readers might forget me. And when you do, make sure you add the book cover.
DiAnn Mills

12 comments:

CherryBlossomMJ said...

Oooh!! Sign me up!

cherryblossommj.blogspot.com

Debra Ullrick said...

What an amazingly unique interview. I love it. And it was great to see DiAnn interview her character. Bravo! Did I mention I love it???!!!

Kudos to DiAnn for saying:
"Oh, I hear what you’re saying--mumbling . . . There were no female bounty hunters in the 19th century. But I beg to differ with you! Sage is alive and real on the pages of my novel."


So many times we try to be so accurate that we forget the art of story telling. Even people have gotten to where they want fiction to be "real". Not me. Give me a good story that keeps me turning the pages and I'm a happy camper. Storytelling in my opinion isn't about being accurate and getting everything right, it's about telling a compelling story that takes me away. I could care less if it's accurate.

Can't wait to read this one, DiAnn!

Debra Ullrick
The Bride Wore Coveralls
Déjà vu Bride
Dixie Hearts
www.DebraUllrick.com
christianromancewriter@gmail.com

Vickie McDonough said...

Very funny. That Sage lady is a bit sassy, isn't she.

I'll be looking forward to reading this book.

Molly Noble Bull said...

Diann,
That was so cute. Loved it.
Love,
Molly
www.mollynoblebull.com

DiAnn Mills said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed the interview. Yep, Sage is sassy, but she is one strong woman too. Her story keeps me at the keyboard, typing out her journey as fast as she tells the story.

Alison said...

I'll definitely keep an eye out for this when it hits the shelves! Thanks for the preview.

brendalottakamaggiebrendan said...

DiAnn, delightful interview!! Gave me a chuckle and the part about Terry Burns. I'm sure it'll be another favorite book to add to my shelf.

DiAnn Mills said...

Thanks to all of your to responding to my blog post. Have a wonderful and blessed Thanksgiving!

Pamela J said...

I know you know your business, Sage, but what gives you the idea that you need to be hunting your killer up in THOSE mountains? I mean, there are LOTS of mountains: like on south from where you are. Like right close to my house. Maybe this can be a lead for you. We have little buildings set WAY BACK in the woods that no one hardly ever goes back that far and I have personally heard twigs snap like someone out past the light from our house just took a step and the next morning seen BIG footprints outside my house.
I did enjoy your interview and maybe someday we can meet. Who knows? Maybe your clues to catch whoever you are looking for WILL lead you my way!
Oh, and if you want to get ahold of me, just leave a message here and I WILL get back to you if I hear anymore twigs snap in the dark!
Pam W

DiAnn Mills said...

Pamela J - When you have a wanted man in your mountains, I'll be there. Now, I don't follow big footprints unless there is a big story to go with it . . .

For His Glory said...

do we really have to wait that long for the book? - it sounds good! i just finished your texas trilogy - great stories!!

Pamela J said...

Oh, whew! I thought SURE the guy you were hunting was actually escaped to MY mountains. I'm SO GLAD he didn't give you the slip. I'm gonna rest easier now that I know who you are after has smaller feet....
Though....
I'd better lay low, keep my eyes and ears open. Those big feet just MAY have a big story to go with it after all. If that's the case, I will be contacting you for sure.
SO glad DiAnn offered, "If you have any additional questions, stick it in the comments", 'cause I feel MUCH better. Thanks for answering Sage, I'm SURE looking forward to reading about you when the book comes out!
Pam Williams
cepjwms at yahoo dot com