January 04, 2009

Everything’s Bigger in Texas

.

by Deeanne Gist


I love my job. Some tasks, however, are definitely more fun than others. For me, traveling to the place my novel is set ranks right up there with Santa Claus. I always come home with a treasure trove of delightful adventures.


An all-time favorite for me was old-timer Carmack Watkins in Corsicana, Texas--where my TROUBLE books are set (Courting Trouble and Deep in the Heart of Trouble). Next to his glass-walled corner office is his trophy room. And after seeing it, I understood why it’s said that “Everything’s bigger in Texas.”


My publicist, Carra Carr, was with me on this particular trip and Carmack rolled out the red carpet for us. But when it was time for picture taking, he had very specific instructions for posing that had to be followed.

So without further ado, here’s a peek at Carmack’s trophy room (This slideshow goes really fast. To look more closely at a photo, push the “pause” button):



Is that just a hoot? What about you? Have you ever taken a “research” trip? What adventures did you come away with?

.

6 comments:

Molly Noble Bull said...

Dear Dee,
I loved your video. The shots of you and your friends were great. If you have the time, scroll down and take a look at my video. It's new.
Love,
Molly
www.mollynoblebull.com

brendalottakamaggiebrendan said...

What a fun research! I stumbled up on research by accident while visiting MT. I was intrigued with the Yogo saffires mined there, and bought a small Yogo ring. Later that same evening I decided to write a story loosely based on them. The title of my second book, The Jewel of His Heart, coming out this fall, is a story of choice between the world's jewels and the more eternal value of a woman's love.

brendalottakamaggiebrendan said...

What a fun research! I stumbled up on research by accident while visiting MT. I was intrigued with the Yogo saffires mined there, and bought a small Yogo ring. Later that same evening I decided to write a story loosely based on them. The title of my second book, The Jewel of His Heart, coming out this fall, is a story of choice between the world's jewels and the more eternal value of a woman's love.

brendalottakamaggiebrendan said...

Sorry, I have no idea why that posted twice, Deanne. I've never had that happen before. Delete it if you can.

Vickie McDonough said...

Dee Anne,

Thanks for sharing that video. That guy sure has a lot of trophies.

How do you find people like him? I've gone on several research trips but am hesitant to contact individuals. Do you have any suggestions?

Deeanne Gist said...

Great video, Molly.

What a cool find, Brenda! That's so neat.

Vickie, I always, always, always try to talk to the locals when I'm on a research trip. For possible contact suggestions, I usually start with the local historical society. But in the case of Carmack, I had gone to the water district to find out where an artisian well had been dug back in the 1890s. They said if anybody would know, Carmack would. I had them call Carmack for me right there on the spot, then I drove out to his place. It was quite an adventure, I can tell you!