February 18, 2009

Western Romance?

Well, it seems like my co-bloggers opted not to do anything centered around Valentine's Day. That makes my choice for today's post quite easy. Considering I'm less than 5 weeks away from my first baby entering this world, and this little one has sapped almost all of my brain, easy is good. :)

As I stated last month, I haven't actually SOLD a western novel yet, although I've written several. My heart is firmly mired in the fun and excitement of the grand Old West. The books set there remain among my top favorites on my shelves. If they've got a good romance in them, all the better!

So, for today, I'm going to invite all of you readers to participate. If you're a blogger here as well, feel free to toss in your .02 too!

In the comments, I'd love for you to share your favorite western romance and why you love it so much. Make sure you include the author so others can look up the book if they want to buy it.

I'll start.

My favorite happens to also be my favorite fiction book overall. Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. Not only does Francine do a remarkable job of bringing the story of Hosea from the Bible to life, but she does so in such a compelling manner, taking the age-old tale and transporting it into the 19th century. Complete with farming, ranching, cowboy hats, saloons and horses, this book weaves a tale so deep that you can't help but be changed after reading it.

The amazing part to me is that this was Francine's first Christian novel after she crossed over from the secular market. I don't know about you, but I'd love to see this made into a movie. I'm surprised it hasn't, having sold over 1 million copies!

So, now it's your turn. Share away!

7 comments:

Karen Witemeyer said...

Hey, Tiff. Some of my favorite CBA Western Romance titles are:

Deep in the Heart of Trouble by Deeanne Gist

Remembered by Tamara Alexander

and Letter Perfect by Cathy Marie Hake

My favorite general market writer in this subgenre is Jodi Thomas. She specializes in rugged Texas heroes. One of my favorite books of hers is The Texan's Wager with a unique hero who embodies the "strong, silent type" in a literal and heart-stopping way.

Vickie McDonough said...

A book I read when I first discovered Christian romances has remained one of my favorites, A Gown of Spanish Lace by Janette Oke. I remember a scene in it that mad me want to throw the book across the room. I was crying, "No, no way that can be true." It's been over 20 years since I first read it, and I still remember my reaction to that scene.

There are so many others that I love too. I can't list them all.

Lena Nelson Dooley said...

One of my most fun books to writer was Gerda's Lawman. I hadn't ever planned to write a western, but over a year before I did, a line came to me while I was cooking. I grabbed a pen and quickly wrote it on a Post-it note. That note hung on my filing cabinet until I started Gerda's Lawman, and it's in the scene where they first see each other.

Tiffany Amber Stockton said...

I look forward to when I can see one of my westerns in print. My heart has always been with horses and cowboys and ranches. I just haven't been able to sell one yet. It's fun hearing of other faves though. :)

Leigh said...

OK, I'll admit that I'm one of the last women on the planet who hasn't read Redeeming Love, but it's on my list of 'must gets.' My favorite Western romance at the moment is From a Distance by Tamera Alexander. But -- I just got No Place for a Lady last week and expect to love it too!

Susan Page Davis said...

One of my favorite westerns is Marion Wells's The Wedding Dress. It's an older book, but still compelling. I also love DiAnn Mills's Texas Legacy books.

Anonymous said...

Reedeming Love is also my favorite western novel. But in this book, you do not feel so much western style.
Anna Labno