August 10, 2009

DYED-IN-THE WOOL

.
by Maggie Brendan


I’m addicted to “coats”. To prove it, I donned my favorite Pendleton red-plaid woolen coat in Atlanta’s 90 degree weather today for all of you history buffs out there. I’ve long been a fan of Pendleton’s beautiful array of colors and plaid woolen throws, coats, and shirts.


My Pendleton Coat



Pendleton Mouse Pad

I even have a Pendleton mouse pad. This beautiful coat that I’m wearing was purchased in Colorado, but not while I lived there. I bought it on a return trip to Denver, a city that I love to visit. It’s too large for me because I wear a small, and that’s why the cuffs are rolled up, and the shoulders are a mite big. But the only one left was a medium, and I just had to have it, I recently received a Pendleton catalog in the mail and it made me want to know the background of their beginnings.

The town of Pendleton has its history as a trading post on the Oregon Trail as far back as 1851. The biggest employer of the town was the Pendleton Woolen Mills. In 1863, an Englishman by the name of Thomas Kay arrived in Oregon as a boss weaver in a pioneer mill. In 1889, he opened his own mill in Salem, Oregon. This is where the dyed-in-the-wool American success story began. His daughter Fannie assisted in the operation of the mills and learned the business. In 1876, she married C. P. Bishop, a retail merchant. With his merchandising and their manufacturing skills, they created a solid foundation for what was to become the Pendleton Woolen Mills.

The Mills were built in 1893 to scour wool and make Indian blankets for local Indians. Some of the tribes in the area were the Walla Walla, Cayuse and the Umatilla. In 1895, the scouring plant was enlarged and converted into a woolen mill. There they made blankets and robes for Native Americans, including the Plains Indians and the Nez Perce. Later the business went idle and in 1909, the Bishop’s sons reopened the mill and made it more efficient and the tradition of Pendleton Woolen Mills began to take off. Pendleton designer, Joe Rawnsley, went to live for a while with his customers to soak up their design preferences. The Pendleton team studied the design and vivid color of the intricate patterns of local and the Southwest Native Americans which became the trademark of their beautiful blankets. Throughout the years, when an Indian baby is born, he’s wrapped in a Pendleton blanket. It’s a common graduation or wedding gift. When someone dies, often they are buried in a Pendleton blanket and the coffin lined with the blankets, as well. The blankets where used as a standard of value for trading and credit among the American Indians, as well as for ceremonial purposes.

Today, there are 70 Pendleton retail stores with their headquarters in Portland, Oregon and employee 1,000 workers. Besides adding warmth and comfort, the role of the blankets is a part of Native American history. The beauty and quality of the woolen blanket is unsurpassed. An interesting tidbit-the Beach Boys called their group the Pendle Tones because of their love of the plaid shirts they wore that were featured on their earlier albums. My sister and sister-in-law love my coat so much that they’ve begged me to sell it to them. Of course, I won’t, but if I pass on before them, they’ll have to duke it out, if they can get past my daughter first! They’ve looked high and low for one exactly like mine and couldn’t find one. I’m not certain they make two of the same exact pattern or color.

Now, Pendleton blankets are draped over the foot of a bed, sofa or chair or displayed on a den wall. Pendleton also makes incredible bedding, vests, and sweaters. Their blankets have endured the test of time. You can find their beautiful merchandise at the online store.
www.pendleton-usa.com
.

11 comments:

Vickie McDonough said...

Very interesting to learn how a successful company got started. On our vacation, I picked up a flyer about a Pendleton outlet in CO. We made that town our stop for the night, and imagine my disappointment to find out the store had gone out of business. We don't have Pendleton in OK. It's too hot.

brendalottakamaggiebrendan said...

Vickie, I was pretty warm taking that picture yesterday. It does get cold enough for me to wear my coat in GA but I gotten the best use when I go back to CO or MT. It never fails when I wear it that someone will walk up and tell me what a beautiful coat I have on.:)

Edna said...

I think Pentleton wool is the most beautiful and expensive that there is. Here is SC we don't need wool, but I used to make the Civil War uniforms both for the Union and the Rebels as my eldest son was in the living history and I made these all and sold them. I made pants, great coats, frock coats, jackets, kepis, shirts, haversacks, shirts and anything else that they wanted. But that wool I had to get from NY as it is not sold anywhere around me.

I know you are not interested in my previous endevors but I think it is cool to have been a part of this time in our history,

mamat2730(at)charter(dot)net

brendalottakamaggiebrendan said...

On the contrary Edna, I'm always interested in how people lived their lives and worked. It's what makes us who we are. My mother worked in a garment factory long before I was born making men's shirts.

Mary said...

Tina,

I had never heard of Penleton wool, but your coat is gorgeous. I found the history of the mills quite interesting. Enjoy your blankets.

Blessings,
Mary

Tina Dee Books said...

Hi Mary,

Thanks! I wish the article was mine, but it was Maggie Brendan (I just posted the article for her).

I agree though, very interesting article and I'd love to have one of those coats.

Tina

brendalottakamaggiebrendan said...

Hi, ladies! Sorry, you'll have to stand in line for that coat. LOL!

Anonymous said...

The coat will be mine - as the only daughter!! :) Sheri

Anonymous said...

I grew up in a town where there was a Pendleton woolen mill. After it went out of business, the huge old historical building is still used for tours, proms, music events. Since the wool designs were something I grew up with, I never thought of them as special. And yet they are!
http://www.salemhistory.net/commerce/wool.htm

brendalottakamaggiebrendan said...

Sheri Berri, You know you'll own it. Besides, you and I have the right coloring to wear it with panache.

Molly Noble Bull said...

Interesting. And you look good in red.
Love,
Molly