September 23, 2009

The Jewel Of His Heart


My newest book releasing on October 1st is The Jewel of His Heart.
Not long ago, I spent some time visiting Columbia Falls, MT where my brother died. It was a mixture of sadness and inspiration for me. I had already heard about the Yogo sapphires in Montana from my brother but had no clue what they looked like. Shopping in the town of Whitefish, I saw many gorgeous stones fashioned into rings or necklaces. Here’s the one we bought while I was there.  It sparked such an interest in me that I bought the book on the history of the Yogo Sapphire’s and started reading it. That’s when I got the idea for my story about a sheepherder. My story is loosely based on the discovery of that rich vein in the Yogo Creek of Montana.





By the 1880’s, southern Montana had one ranch in five herding sheep. The sheepherders had all kind of perils to deal with, from stampedes, wolves and coyotes to disease. The sheep were dumb and unpredictable and sheepherding was considered the least attractive job in the Old West. The lone herder had at least one sheep dog which became his closest companion. For my book I used my brother’s dog, Shebe, as the hero’s sheepdog. This really old picture below is one that my mother gave to me and I passed it own to my youngest granddaughter, Sarah, who loves dogs. I think this depicts the sheepdog’s story well in the cold winter of Montana.




From the Back Cover of Jewel of His Heart

Their future is as wide open as the Montana sky Juliana Brady is alone in an 1890s Montana mining town, with few prospects for making a living. But she is determined not to be dependent on the charity of others. Josh McBride is trying to scrape up a living from his sheep herd while he builds his ranch. But when he discovers some rare stones on his property, he's tempted by the prospect of fast money. When their paths cross, Juliana and Josh must make a choice--the world's riches and promises, or the eternal value of love. 
"Maggie Brendan is adept at weaving a sweet love story, and The Jewel of His Heart showcases her penchant for capturing the Old West in authentic dialogue, in vivid descriptions, and in the struggle of two hearts destined to become one. Within these pages indeed lies a jewel."--Tamera Alexander, bestselling author of From a Distance, Beyond This Moment, and The Inheritance 

"With its tender love story and vivid imagery of a time gone by, Maggie Brendan's gentle style of prairie romance is reminiscent of Janette Oke, capturing the heart of both the Old West and the reader with romance that will make you sigh."--Julie Lessman, author of the Daughters of Boston series.

I hope you’re intrigued enough to pick up a copy of The Jewel of His Heart

Happy Trails…
.

8 comments:

Renee said...

What a GORGEOUS ring!! I love it!!!

I have that old picture too! I got it from my great grandpa, it hung on the wall for years at his house and when he passed on my grandpa got it and gave it to me! I have a collie (who BTW is a dead ringer for the doggie on the cover of Jewel) and I love antiques, so this is one of my favorite pictures! It's hanging right behind me in the living room!

Edna said...

I have your book and can't wait to get it read, the picures are pretty that you have on this blog.

mamat2730(at)charter(dot)net

brendalottakamaggiebrendan said...

Renee, how neat is that? I wonder what the print is worth?

Edna, that's my ring, of course, it looks much smaller than the picture. Enjoy reading Jewel...

Vickie McDonough said...

Congratulations on the release of your new book! I just got a copy and am looking forward to reading it. Love that ring! It's such a pretty shade of blue.

brendalottakamaggiebrendan said...

Thanks,Vickie. The Yogos and the heroine eyes are alike. The model on the front was perfect!

Tina Dee Books said...

I can't wait to read your new book, THE JEWEL OF HIS HEART! Thanks for a great article!

brendalottakamaggiebrendan said...

Sure hope you enjoy it, Tina. The beautiful woman on the cover looks just as I describe Julilana!

LaWanna said...

Maggie, I have recently stumbled across your books and fell in love with them. I just finished reading Jewel of His Heart and A Love of Her Own. I was hoping that you would be writing more in this series, but I saw where you said that A Love of Her Own was the final book of the series.
Sure would be nice if you could keep writing this series.
Did Louise and the doctor finally get married, what happened to Natalie, did she ever find that special some, and what happens to Billy?
All questions that are left in my mind.