November 15, 2009

Wooden Sign Sayings

by Vickie McDonough



I was leaning back in my office chair, trying to think up an interesting topic for this month’s blog, and my gaze landed on a wooden sign that a friend gave me. It’s kind of funny, and I though y’all might enjoy reading some of these sayings. Here are a couple with a western theme:

Better to shoot off your rifle by mistake than your mouth on purpose

My life is filled with romance, danger, and dust balls the size of cattle


“Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway.”

A famous quote from John Wayne


Wouldn't it be nice if life was like an old pair of boots? The worse we look the better we feel? from a Leaning Tree Card


Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.



If you chase two rabbits, both will escape.

Home is where your story begins. (This is a good one for writers)

Inspirational sayings:


Death is not extinguishing a light, but turning down the lantern because dawn has arrived.


Faith makes things possible, not easy.


Here are a couple I found on Ebay:

This Irish saying will make you smile.




Since I’ll be talking a bit about my Christmas books next, here’s one with a Christmas theme.






I have two new releases to tell you about. Wild West Christmas is set in the Texas Hill Country and is the reason I visited Fredericksburg. This is a novella collection written by four different authors, but the stories are tied together. Wild West Christmas is about the spunky Ames sisters, who live on a ranch with their pa. Since they have no brothers, the sisters help run the ranch. Each gal has a special talent like shooting, tracking or roping. My heroine is Sarah, and her specialty is training horses. She hates being inside doing womanly things. My hero is a half Mexican/half Scottish horse trainer who Sarah’s pa hires to take her place. Needless to say, Sarah is fuming. When cattle go missing, she wonders if the new man is responsible. Has he stolen their cattle, along with her heart? And yes, before I get a bunch of letters, I know that it rarely snows in the Texas Hill Country, but the snow does create a neat effect on the cover. J





Lastly, I’d like to mention another Christmas book called A Blue and Gray Christmas. Surrender yourself to the forces of love in four engaging Civil War Christmas romances. Join up with Leah Woods as she searches for her missing fiancé in Fredericksburg, Virginia. Stick to your guns with Arabella Lambert as she pledges her allegiance to pacifist Barry Birch, a man labeled a coward. Ride out the storm with Rachel Thornton as she resists her attraction to the wounded artist James Galloway. Saddle up with Confederate-born Hannah McIntosh as she falls for Chris Haley, an embittered Union soldier. Can these couples forge an everlasting union in the tide of civil war?



So, what’s your favorite saying found on a wooden or metal sign? Leave a comment about it, and you’ll be entered in a drawing to win your choice of Wild West Christmas or A Blue and Gray Christmas.



I’m putting together an email mailing list to announce the release of The Anonymous Bride. If you’d like to be on the list and receive my occasional newsletters, please contact me at fictionfan1@cox.net



Thanks so much for joining me again on Bustles and Spurs. As always, I’ve enjoyed it.

11 comments:

Tina Dee Books said...

Thanks for a fun post, Vickie! I'll have to think about that question and come back with my answer.

Tina

Lori (sugarandgrits) said...

Hi Vickie ~

My hubby loves to fish, so I bought him a wooden sign one year on vacation that says: "Old fisherman never die...they just keep plugg'n along." LOL It has a fishing lure hand-painted in the middle of the saying.

I would love to win one of these Christmas books! I just signed up for the 2009 Holiday Reading Challenge, so I'm looking for more Holiday-themed books to add to my growing list. :)

Thank you for the great post, Vickie.
~ Lori

Vickie McDonough said...

Too funny, Lori.

Margaret Daley said...

I love those saying. Cute and gave me a good laugh.
Thanks,
Margaret

brendalottakamaggiebrendan said...

Love the post! Here's one for ya.

"Never try to drown your sorrows if she kin swim"!

The books look wonderful!

collettakay said...

MY favorite one isn't a funny saying. It is: "Be still and know that I am God."

Thanks for the chance to win a book!

pepsi324[at]yahoo[dot]com

Virginia C said...

"You were only "almost dead". If you laugh...you'll live!"

gcwhiskas at aol dot com

Matthew C Jones said...

Great post, Vickie! Also, I just wanted to congratulate you on the panel last week. I'm very proud to know you!

God's blessings on your books and your writing,
Matt J

Anonymous said...

My favorite wooden sign says...
"Dear Lord,
Please put your arms around my shoulders, and you hand over my mouth". I love It!!

Carman said...

One time my sister and I were camping with my family in Colorado. We found a small long chunk of wood and together we carved "welcome" onto the front to go by the door. :) That is my favorite "wooden sign saying". :D

I would love to be entered to win! Thank you for doing the giveaway.
Blessings,
Carman
booklovercb[at]yahoo[dot]com

Emma said...

MY favorite wooden sign
is The Lord's prayer.Please enter me in the giveaway.augustlily06(at)aim(dot)com.Thank you.