December 20, 2009

Angels Then and Now

by DiAnn Mills


This time of year we hear a lot about angels--the angel who spoke to Mary the mother of Jesus, the angel who spoke to Joseph, and the angels who spoke to the shepherds.

We understand that down through the ages, God has sent angels to minister to those in need. When I think about the perilous journey across our country in wagon trains, the diseases and tragedies that killed masses of people, and the many dangers of the 19th century, I know our ancestors possessed incredible faith to help them through whatever they encountered.

Many of you have miraculous stories that have been passed down from generation to generation of how those in need were delivered. This month I want to share my own miraculous story.

I remember the bleak day I realized I had enough food for two more days. I had no money and no job. How would I take care of my four young sons? I tried to pray, but fear hung suspended in my mind and choked any semblance of words. I wanted to cry, but realized that once I started, the tears might never end. Single parenting and children who had more needs than I could fill paralyzed my thoughts.

Swallowing my pride, I phoned my parents in another state. Perhaps they’d take the boys until I got on my feet. The thought of parting with them made me physically ill. They had already dealt with abandonment issues from their father’s recent departure, and I knew being separated from me would increase their insecurities – and mine.

After the phone call to my parents and the news they felt something good would happen soon, I painted a smile on my face and went through the motions of preparing my sons’ dinner. The doorbell rang, interrupting my silent prayer for faith. A middle-aged woman stood there, looking somewhat perplexed and nervous.

“Can I help you?” My voice released staggering emotions.

She nodded and gave me a faint smile. “I think so. God told me the family living here needs food. I have my station wagon full of groceries.” She pointed to her vehicle.

My boys rushed outside to help carry in bag after bag of much-needed food. Not since Christmas had they been so excited. Me either, for that matter.

After thanking the woman and watching her leave, I realized she hadn’t given me her name! And I had asked! I never saw the woman or the chariot of food again. God had sent an angel to feed my family!

The food in those grocery bags fed us for a long time. Every item was something I would have purchased, even special treats. This blessing marked the beginning of many. Within a week I found a job directing a day care center, and my children never went hungry or without care. The true treasure was the provision of our faithful Father who sent an angel to make sure my sons were fed, and we were not separated.

I wasn’t the first to experience an angel, and I’m sure I won’t be the last.

4 comments:

sherrinda said...

What a beautiful story! I shouldn't be amazed that God works that way, but I am! He is so incredibly good and faithful to His children! I have experiences where God has intervened when we were most desperate and it builds your faith like nothing else! Thanks for sharing!

Debbie Gail Smith said...

Amazing! God is so wonderful and He is faithful. He will never leave us nor forsake us. Thank you for sharing that touching story.

Stephen Bly said...

This was a wonderful story. We know there's busy angels out there...how special to come in contact up close and personal.

On the trail,
Steve

Brenda said...

What a wonderful story!

dancealert at aol dot com