February 07, 2010

I'm Pleased


Yes, I’m pleased.

Forgive me for taking advantage of this forum to talk about myself, but allow me to take my agents hat off for a minute and put my writer’s hat on. For those that know me it means putting the new Silver Stetson back in the box until the next conference and slipping on the old sweat-stained Stetson.

I’m pleased because I was at a Christian writers conference at The Ghost Ranch in New Mexico and I was asked to read a little of my cowboy poetry (I haven’t written a lot of it but I do have a small cowboy poetry book) at an evening campfire they were having. It was very well received, but that wasn’t what surprised and pleased me. Following the conference I was approached by Maggie Woychik of Port Yonder Press asking if she could put the little poetry book back in print.

It has only happened to me a couple of times that an editor has contacted ME soliciting a project instead of the other way around and it is a nice feeling. It got better.

After I agreed and provided her with the manuscript for the poetry book she came back and asked if I had some short stories that could go with it. I had some that were unpublished and a number that had already been published somewhere, but of course I only sold first rights on them so they could be re-printed. She kept asking for more until finally we were talking about a four volume set of the “collected short works of Terry Burns.”

THAT is what pleased me, that someone would think my short works worth collecting and that she would make the contact with me to do it. It will be called “The Sagebrush Collection” and the first book “On the Road Home” is just coming out. It focuses on stories of ‘life and love’ with a good sized western short story in the back. The second book will focus on cowboy poetry and western content and will be the ‘cowboy book’ – untitled as yet. It still leaves plenty for two more, although the themes for them are not set in stone yet.

Port Yonder press is a start up that is getting up to speed fast. I'm expecting them to do very well and you can find out more about them at http://portyonderpress.com/ I just hope my little project does well for them (because I wish them well, but also so they will continue for the whole series).

You may not want to know what makes me tick, but some of the stories in the book are heavily autobiographical and reveal more about me than I ever thought I would make public. I hope you will favor it with a read . . . and let me know what you think.

20 comments:

BK said...

This is so cool! And just the inspiration I needed this morning when I'm fighting with a sticky chapter in my book and asking myself "why am I doing this writing thing again?"

For moments like you describe. For getting previously published work out there again, and for getting those stories and other works dusted off and into the light of day.

Congratulations!

Mark E. said...

Good for you! Hope all goes well. It has to be a great feeling. Again, congratulations, looking forward to it!

Normandie Fischer said...

Hey, Terry. Thanks for sending the link to this blog. The more I read about your work, the more eager I am to hunt up a copy of one of your books as soon as I return stateside. As an author, as an agent, you are a constant inspiration, teaching me much.

Blessings,
Normandie

Vickie McDonough said...

Congratulations, Terry. That's so exciting!! I'm happy for you.

Tina Dee Books said...

This is so exciting! Absolutely thrilled for you, my friend!

Thanks for letting us celebrate along with you!

Raquel Byrnes said...

The more I learn about you as a writer, the more amazed I am. This is wonderful news, Terry. I can't wait to read your work.

Janice Olson said...

What a wonderful story and a surprised blessing of publication.

Congrats to you, Terry, on the new project and also on your latest recognition of excellence. I pray your books will sell well and the small press will prosper.

Carla Gade said...

That is such wonderful news, Terry! Congratulations. It sounds like a great project and I look forward to seeing it.

Terry Burns said...

Thanks, everybody - I hope I can help draw visibility for this press. They are doing a lot of things right. They are going to do a middle reader series for one of my clients as well, Max Elliott Anderson. We're going to psh to make both a success.

Leigh said...

Congratulations, Terry! What a blessing to be in this position and able to share some of your other work. I'm glad to hear about Max's project, too -- I see his posts through ACFW and love that he has such a heart for kids who don't like to read ... yet. :-)

Cecelia Dowdy said...

Wow, that's great, Terry! Congrats!

Wyn said...

Congratulations, what a great feather in your cap. Can't wait.

wyndyc at gmail.com
http://wynsbooks.blogspot.com

Ann Shorey said...

What great news, Terry. When offers come out of the blue like that, you know they're from the hand of God.
Blessings!

Shari Lyle-Soffe said...

Terry

That is wonderful! I don't think there is any better feeling than for them to come to you. Great news!

Shari Lyle-Soffe
http://sharilyle-soffe.com

Molly Noble Bull said...

I am so happy for you, Terry. You deserve the best because you are the best.
Molly
www.mollynoblebull.com

Terry Burns said...

You guys have got me blushing now - thanks for the good wishes

jthomas@mail.wtamu.edu said...

Terry,

This looks great. You are one busy man. I remember about 8 years ago when you took my writing class and sold every story we had as a class assignment. I knew you were already a writer then.

Very proud of you, as always.
Jodi Thomas
www.jodithomas.com

Terry Burns said...

Thanks Jodi, I returned the compliment in that article in the paper yesterday.

Appreciate you,

Edna said...

please enter me into the contest

I follow you on google

I have your button on my blog
http://edna-myfavoritethings.blogspot.com/

mamat2730(at)charter(dot)net

Nik said...

Congratulations, Terry, that's wonderful news. It's great to get short stories published (I've just had my 95th printed) but to see them in a collection must be a fantastic feeling. Best of luck with the series.
Nik/Ross Morton