March 20, 2010

The Lure of the Fan

by DiAnn Mills





Earlier this month, I was on staff for a library conference. One of the speakers was a delightful white-haired lady who demonstrated how to flirt with a fan. It occurred to me that readers and writers alike would enjoy the unspoken language and its love messages. 

I have no idea where she found the following information, but I’m writing it directly from her handout - and utterly fascinating display of historical flirtation!

Carry the fan in your right hand in front of your face  - Follow me!
Carry the fan in your left hand in front of your face - I want to meet you
Place the fan on your left ear  - Go away
Run your fingers through the fan’s ribs - I want to talk to you
Twirl the fan in your left hand  - We are being watched
Twirl the fan in your right hand  -  I love someone else
Carry the fan closed and hang it from your left hand  - I’m engaged
Carry the fan closed and hang it from your right hand  - I want a finance
Draw the fan through your right hand - I don’t like how your are behaving
Draw the fan across your cheek - I love you
Present your fan shut - Do you love me?
Draw the fan across your eyes - I am sorry
Close your fan  -  I wish to speak to you
Rest the fan on your right cheek - Yes
Rest the fan on your left cheek  - No
Drop your fan - We will be friends
Fan your fan slowly - I am married
Fan your face quickly - I am in love
Bring the fan’s handle to your lips - Kiss me
Open your fan wide - Wait for me
Use the fan to hit any object - I’m impatient


I’m still laughing about this subtle approach to flirting. But if everyone knew what these different positions meant, then everyone understood the message!







Sworn to Protect - Tyndale - Available! - April 2010

Border Patrol Agent Danika Morales has sworn to protect the southern borders of our nation, but that oath has cost her. Two years ago, her husband, Toby, was killed trying to help the very immigrants Danika was responsible for sending back to Mexico. His murder was never solved. But now, a recent string of attacks and arrests leads her to believe that someone in McAllen is profiting from sneaking undocumented immigrants into the country . . . and it may somehow be tied to Toby’s death.
A Woman Called Sage - Coming May 2010!

They took away everything she loved ... now, she's out for revenge. Sage Morrow had it all: life on a beautiful Colorado ranch, a husband who adored her, and a baby on the way. Until five ruthless gunmen rode up to their ranch and changed her life forever. Now Sage is a bounty hunter bent on retribution. Accompanied only by her majestic hawk, she travels throughout the Rocky Mountains in search of injustice, determined to stamp it out wherever it's found. The stakes are raised when two young boys are kidnapped and Sage is forced to work with Marshall Parker Timmons to rescue them. But Sage may ultimately get more than she bargained for.

3 comments:

Casey said...

How interesting and funny! Did the guys know as well as the gals what all those meant? I would get confused and have someone hating me when I wanted to be kissed! LOL. :D

Brenda said...

I thought that was interesting, and hysterical! I love books written about the old west, etc.
I love all of your books too!

dancealert at aol dot com

Stephen Bly said...

DiAnn: Fascinating info to include for your characters! Thanks for the fun read.
On the trail,
Steve