June 29, 2010

WESTERN LILT: DIALOGUE & THE WESTERN NOVEL


Stephen Bly

Copyright©2010 

 

Speech has rhythm. To write good dialogue, an author must listen to each character’s voice, to discern timing as well as vocabulary.

 

Every era and region boasts its language and dialect, which can be learned through research or experience. But tone and timing can’t be taught. It’s in your bones...or not.

 

In my newest novel, Cowboy For A Rainy Afternoon, six old cowboys chatting can’t wait for one topic to die before blurting another. I worked to hear the tune of their chatter, the lilt of the lyrics, to produce an authentic, natural flow. And blend the philosophy within the words.


Cowboy Culture

          Talk slow and think deep. It’s part of the Code. It’s the way true westerners talked.
These cowboys told their stories often and not the same each time. That’s the beauty of oral history. It’s not a static photograph of the past, but a monologue that percolates, evolves, and sometimes digresses through the memory and heart, by the one who lived it. My task: be true to the characters, yet sympathetic to my readers. Spend a morning near the old-timers booth at the local café and you’ll know what I mean.

          In Cowboy For A Rainy Afternoon, I used a lot of classic cowboy terms that have now disappeared. For instance, a phrase often used on a cattle drive was “man at the pot.” Someone at the coffee pot gave a shout-out to indicate he’d fill everyone’s cup.

To cowboys, ‘nobby’ signified fine, expensive clothing. They mention the store Nudies. That’s where Hollywood cowboys and country-western singers bought their fancy boots and rhinestone jackets. I bought a cowboy hat there…a plain, beaver felt XXX, size 7 7/8, dark brown Resistol with horsehair hatband…for the sake of research. 

“You never know the luck of a lousy calf,” one of my favorite cowboy sayings. Healthy, sturdy calves seem to fall off cliffs or get attacked by wolves. It’s the scrawny, worthless ones that survive. 

I once stood at the graveside of my rancher uncle. As I looked down at his coffin, an old-timer slid up beside me. “He was a good man, son. He lived by the Code.”

          In my novel, Pop would “do to ride the river with.” That’s the highest compliment for a cowboy. Crossing wild rivers with great herds of cattle exposed dangers for man and beast. Not a time to trust your safety to some rookie just learning the ropes. “He’ll do to ride the river with” signified “I’d trust that man with my life.”

Cowboy Faith

Every writer filters their work through a worldview. Mine happens to be Christian. Sometimes that pops through. In Cowboy For A Rainy Afternoon, you’ll find this quote: “If you feel prodded, Shorty, it’s the shovel of the Lord. He’s diggin’ you up and intends on restorin’ you.”

The narrator’s granddaddy chides his pals with the gospel truth. He cares too much to keep silent. He’s hoping that fifty years of friendship and five minutes spouting Jesus will open their eyes.

My suggestion: read Cowboy For A Rainy Afternoon aloud, as though you're hunkered around a campfire, to capture the cadence. Then, the characters will start to feel like family.

And maybe you’ll discover you weren’t born 100 years too late.

**********

Now Available!   Order Cowboy For A Rainy Afternoon from www.Amazon.com or www.BlyBooks.com or through your local library.

Come follow our new blog, “On A Western Trail,” at www.BlyBooks.blogspot.com

7 comments:

Tina Dee Books said...

I'd love to read Cowboy For A Rainy Afternoon beside a camp fire, hearing the crickets chirp and sipping a mug of warm tea or coffee.

Don't think I'll be camping soon, but I will have to get my hands on a copy of Cowboy For A Rainy Afternoon! Can't wait to read it!

Thanks for all the neat sayings Stephen. I think we'd all love to have a rainy afternoon to hang out with you.

Kameko said...

Your comments bring to mine things my father-in-law use to say. He was 93 when we lost him 5 years ago, but he had a "cowboy way" about him in the way he thought and spoke. I could just picture him in my mind saying the things you were quoting!

My husband isn't a reader (says its a waste of time!) but I believe this is one book that I could get him interested in just by reading it out loud to him.

Thanks for writing such a fascinating sound book & I can't wait to read it very soon.

Blessings,

Beverly

Brenda said...

Would love to read the book, I love cowboy stories!

dancealert at aol dot com

Linnette R Mullin said...

Stephen, you said that good dialogue is either in your bones or it's not. This really struck me as I've been complimented many times by various people - christian and non, on my ability to write great dialogue. What do you think is the spark behind great dialogue? Is it a personality thing? I tend to be a people watcher...always have been. I watch people's expressions, listen to their tones...I can almost see the thoughts behind their words. Is this simply a gift or is there hope for others to learn how to do this, as well?
~Linnette

Stephen Bly said...

Linnette: Both, I think. Thanks for your input. Sometimes the dialogue ability can be developed, like you mentioned. Most all of us are born with the innate sense of our own regional language. . .if we pay extra attention to what comes natural and can be taken for granted, and the uniqueness lost.

Anita Mae Draper said...

Oh, this sounds like a wonderful book. Thank you for the post, Stephen. I'm gonna go check out your blog, now...

Anita Mae.

Tina Dee Books said...

Anita, I was just there at http://Blybooks.blogspot.com and you'll love it!