November 23, 2010

Ever Pass a Buckee's?

James and I went to Spring, Texas, last Friday for Kathleen Y'Barbo Turner and Bobby Turner's wedding reception. They had eloped to Hawaii, and her friends wanted to honor their marriage with a celebration. What fun!

But on the way home, we stopped at Buckee's. James hadn't been to one. I had when I'd gone that way with other people. We'd stopped mostly to get a bite to eat or something to drink and the other necessities of travel. We didn't spend a lot of time there.

James wanted to see everything they had in the place, so we walked all over the place. Lots of things were gimmicky and humorous, or not so humorous. But in one section I found several shelves of books. All kinds of Texas books, because we live in Texas. I'm sure that if you went to a Buckee's in another state, the books would be about that one.

I'm always on the lookout for reference books that might help me when writing historicals. I found Amazing Texas by T. Jensen Lacey. As I leafed through the pages, I found a wealth of tidbits about Texas. Some just fascinating facts, others bizarre happenings and historical oddities. So I purchased the book.

On the way home, I started skimming here and there. Some of the things I found most fascinating:

*  The fight between various politicians about where the capital should be located. This even included having the archives stolen and moved about.
*  Famous Texans
*  Texas Pictographs
*  The first rodeo
*  A white woman kidnapped by the Indians and held for years.
*  Weird happenings
*  The first discovery of oil in Texas

This list is only a small sampling of the information between the covers of this book. As time allows, I plan to peruse the pages and allow them to spark creativity for new book ideas.

Next time you're traveling, give Buckee's a chance. You might find some nuggets about your state that will fire your imagination.

Happy journeys.


Suggestion for a Christmas gift: Purchase my latest book, Love Finds You in Golden, New Mexico, either in print format or Kindle format, for the avid reader among your friends and acquaintances.

Lena Nelson Dooley

1 comment:

Stephen Bly said...

Never been to a Buckee's. How fun to find a great book resource in an unexpected place.

Steve
http://BlyBooks.blogspot.com