April 26, 2011

Western-Science Fiction? And Upcoming Movie

by Molly Noble Bull
http://www.mollynoblebull.com/


Do you like science fiction movies? I know. You like westerns. Me too. How about both? Yep, Hollywood is coming out with a movie titled Cowboys and Aliens starring Harrison Ford that should please just about everybody.



Maybe not.

COWBOYS AND ALIENS is coming to a theater near you on July 29, 2011, and frankly, I could hardly wait to see it, until I saw the trailer. After hearing cursing and the suggestion of nudity, I’m not so interested in seeing it now.

After writing this article, I read an article connecting UFO's and demonic activity. You might want to read the article as well before you see the movie, especially if you have young children. Here is the address.

http://www.bible-knowledge.com/dangers-of-ufos

I’ve known a lot of cowboys, and I never heard a REAL cowboy curse. The cowboys I know live decent lives—pray and go to church. So why does Hollywood always picture them differently from the way they really are?

Can you spell M O N E Y?

11 comments:

Cecelia Dowdy said...

Hmm. I'd imagine, just like most occupations, you'll find cowboys who curse? And you'll also find some Bible-believing, church-going cowboys, too. If a movie is good, I'm still going to watch it, I just ignore the offensive parts and see if I can enjoy the story overall...

Teresa Slack said...

I agree, Cecelia. If a movie sounds interesting I'll watch most as long as they don't exceed the PG-13 rating. Haven't seen anything about this one yet, but you've put it on my radar.

Molly Noble Bull said...

Thanks for writing Cecelia and Teresa. I like cowboys and in some cases, science fiction and will probably see this movie. But I like to tell folks what to expect. Especially parents.
Love,
Molly

Katy King said...

I think I would see this movie just to see what the cowboys do to the aliens. Nobody knows the devious minds of cowboys when they are confronted with the "unknown."

Diana Lesire Brandmeyer said...

I might netflix it then if it gets to be too offensive I'll stop watching. I think it's a bit odd to stick the two genres together. It could be a huge hit and change the way we write books or more likely it will fail.

Trish Perry said...

Okay, I'll step out and say I can't WAIT to see it, and I'm not a big fan of Westerns OR SciFi. But it looks very creative to me. And if you're going to suspend disbelief long enough to watch a movie about aliens, you might as well figure, why WOULDN'T the aliens come during some moment in the past?

I don't know if it has a rating yet--it didn't when I saw this trailer on TV the other night--but PG-13 probably won't be more graphic or vulgar than what's on the trailer. I hope not, anyway.

I'm intrigued. Must be from having a 19-year-old son in film school . . .

Lynette Sowell said...

I was really intrigued by the trailer. Like Molly, I think of what would be good to recommend to families. But for CJ and I, we will probably go see it.

Molly Noble Bull said...

Thanks for all your comments. I hope we get even more.
Love,
Molly

Ramona Cecil said...

I love cowboy movies, but I simply can't buy into the alien thing, so I won't be going to see, or even renting this movie. To me, it just seems ridiculous. That said, I think Hollywood often plays fast and loose with historic accuracy. Sadly, they would rather rewrite history to fit their stereotypical biases than really work to get the history right.

Ann Parker said...

To me, cowboys and sci-fi immediately call to mind Firefly. A fascinating TV series, and I fell in love with the characters (Wikipedia defined it as an American space western). There was a spinoff movie Serenity, but honestly, I think the series was better. :-)
I shall keep an eye out for Cowboys and Aliens...

Molly Noble Bull said...

Thanks for writing Ramona and Ann.
Hope you will come back here soon.
Love,
Molly