March 27, 2012

MEET PAPA, MY COWBOY FATHER

by Molly Noble Bull
www.mollynoblebull.com

Meet my late father, Sam Noble.


Papa, Same Noble, was born on December 18, 1904 in Hallettsville, Texas, the youngest of eleven children. I called him Papa.

Papa was eleven years old when his father died, and his widowed mother moved her younger children to Kingsville, Texas. Some of Papa's older brothers and sisters lived in Kingsville and worked for the Missouri Pacific Railroad, and my grandmother bought a home in Kingsville where they lived during Papa's early years in the area.

Papa, Sam, had always been interested in cowboying, and had worked on a ranch near San Antonio, Texas, before becoming a Kingsville city fireman. It was while he was working for the Kingsville Fire Department that he met and married my mother, the daughter of Texas cowboy and ranch manager who ran the Santa Rosa Ranch in Kenedy country Texas for almost forty years. I am the only child my parents ever had.

I maried my college sweetheart, and we have three grown sons and six grandchildren.

Below is a photo of Papa on my wedding day as he was about to walk me down the aisle.


Papa became interested in serving his community while working for the Kingsville Fire Department. At the same time, he began spending weekends and summer vacations working cattle with my grandfather on the Santa Rosa Ranch and gaining still more ranching experience.

When I was five years old, Papa moved his family to the Santa Rosa where we lived for one year, and he worked for my grandfather, punching cattle. When my grandfather retired, Papa was hired to run the Santa Rosa. Soon after that, the Santa Rosa Ranch was divided between the owner's three sons, and Papa became the first foreman of the La Paloma Ranch where he worked until he retired at age sixty-five.

While working on the La Paloma, he was elected Justice of the Peace and then County Commissioner of Kenedy County, Texas. He continued as county commissioner after he retired.
Sam Noble died in 1989, and he and my mother are buried in the cemetery in Riviera, Texas.

On February 15, 2012, the Sam Noble Park was dedicated in Sarita, Texas in momory of my father. The pictures below were taken at the park of the day the park was dedicated.




My first non-fiction book, The Overcomers: Christian Authors Who Conquered Learning Disabilities, is a finalist in the 2011 Women of Faith contest for writers.


To find The Overcomers at online and walk-in bookstores, write Molly Noble Bull in the search slot.

No comments: