April 22, 2012

Dr. Quinn Time



By Mona Hodgson


The year was 1996. Remaining true to our annual tradition, that summer my friend Shirley and I loaded the back of my Jeep and headed to a cabin in Northern Arizona. I would write and she would work on her music. However, that year, we encountered a big problem. No, it wasn’t a bear on the trail, the squirrels in the attic, the midnight mice, or a skunk on the porch. We’re much too resilient to consider mere animal antics a problem.                    

No, our two-day getaway to the cabin swallowed Saturday.  Seriously? Saturday night was DR. QUINN, MEDICINE WOMAN night, and the modest cabin didn’t allow for TV viewing. 

  
Don’t get me wrong—we’re all about retreating from noise and hectic pace of small town life and breathing in the pine-scented tranquility the mountains have to offer, but miss viewing Dr. Quinn (Jane Seymour) and Sully (Joe Lando) in “real time?” Far too much to ask. No way. 

Sure too bad about our annual drive up the mountain to view and photograph deer and elk. We had to find a place with good television reception. The nearest town was a mere twenty or thirty miles away. Never mind that we’d be driving back to the cabin in the dark . . . in the land of bears and deer and elk. Where, oh where, could we go to catch up with the unstoppable Dr. Michaela “Mike” Quinn and mountain man Bryon Sully? Remember, this was before televisions lines the walls of most eateries. So, we brainstormed our options. Department stores that sold televisions? Sports bars? Uh, not the kind of shows they broadcast.

Ah ha! Hospital rooms have televisions. Yep. Off we went to the hospital, put our dollar bills into the vending machine, and searched for an empty room with a TV. With no time to spare, we settled into the outpatient waiting room and historic Colorado Springs with the beloved cast of DR. QUINN, MEDICINE WOMAN.

Yes, it was a dreary day when that show was cancelled. But fast forward to 2012. I’m a historical novelist, writing Old West fiction for WaterBrook Press and I’m still fascinated with the role of female physicians in the 1800’s. It’s no wonder then that Colorado doctor, Susan Anderson known as Doc Susie, serves as my “real life” character in The Bride Wore Blue, Book Three in The Sinclair Sisters of Cripple Creek Series.

Headed toward a fresh start but tethered by her past,
Vivian longs to break free, to find forgiveness and love.

 
At last, the sisters are reunited! The youngest Sinclair, the family “baby,” is moving from Maine to Cripple Creek, Colorado and joining Kat, Nell, and Ida. But Vivian is a young woman with a will of her own, and made some decisions back in Portland that have begun to haunt her. Will she be able to live up to the expectations of her three perfect and now happily-settled sisters?

The sisters warmly welcome Vivian to the mountain west, but the wild-and-woolly mining town isn’t ripe with opportunities for a respectable young woman. The youngest Sinclair sister is determined to make her own way, so when she’s offered a job as a hostess in a sporting house, she takes it, thinking the position is appropriate for a tainted, unlovable woman like herself. Although she’s convinced she’ll never be asked to entertain privately, Vivian keeps her employment a secret from her sisters, knowing they’d be mortified—as will Carter Alwyn, the kind and godly sheriff’s deputy who’s sweet on her.

Vivian is descending into a life of secrets, lying to the very people who love her and could help her heal from her mistakes. Will an outpouring of grace remind her that she is still God’s beloved and that her past can be washed as clean as Rocky Mountain snow?

So is it Vivian or Sheriff’s deputy Carter Alwyn who has need of the good Doc Susie’s services? And who is at fault?
I’m not telling . . . not just yet, anyway. The official release date for The Bride Wore Blue is Tuesday, May 8th, but you can pre-order your copy now. 

 “I love recommending this series
when readers ask me who I read and what books I can rave about.”
--Lauraine Snelling, best-selling author of Valley of Dreams and the Blessing series

Comment on this post to enter a giveaway for a free copy of The Bride Wore Blue.

MONA HODGSON is the author of Two Brides Too Many, Too Rich for a Bride, The Bride Wore Blue (May 2012), and Twice a Bride (October 2012), all four books in The Sinclair Sisters of Cripple Creek Series (WaterBrook Multnomah). You can learn more about Mona and her books at www.monahodgson.com and connect with her on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/#!/Author.Mona.



50 comments:

Tina Dee Books said...

Couldn't stop laughing as I read this. I would never have thought of a hospital waiting room. Very resourceful, haha! I also enjoyed watching Sully.. er uh... the show.

The Bride Wore Blue sounds like a great read, can't wait to get my hands on it.

Michelle said...

You had me at Dr. Quinn! I LOVE that show! As a matter of fact, it's my favorite show of ALL-time! :D

I love your story of how you got your DQ "fix." I can see myself doing that! ;-)

I'd love a chance to win your latest book! Since it's part of a series, do the books need to be read in order?

Thank you,

Michelle
drquinnfan71 at gmail dot com

Mary Beth Magee said...

Oh, Michelle, you will want to read them in order to get to know the delightful sisters. There are a treat!

As the eldest of four sisters, I really enjoyed getting to know our counterparts of another time and place. I've had a lot of fun matching up Sinclair sisters' actions with patterns of the Magee girls.

I agree with Tina - finding a hospital showed real ingenuity! Who would want to miss the next step in the adventures of the beloved townspeople of Colorado Springs? But my crush wasn't on Sully, it was on Cloud Dancing!

Love your books, Mona. Don't stop writing them!

Blessings,
Mary Beth

Mona Hodgson said...

Thanks for the comment, Tina. Happy Reading! Vivian's story is especially dear to my heart.

Mona Hodgson said...

Hi Michelle! I love connecting with fellow Dr. Quinn fans. Thanks for reading the post. Hmm. About the Sinclair sisters. Their stories can be read as standalones. However, I think you'd get the most out of their journeys if you were to begin reading the series with TWO BRIDES TOO MANY.
Happy Reading!

Mona Hodgson said...

Hi Mary Beth,
I do love a dedicated fan of my Sinclair Sisters. How fun that you were looking at them and matching up traits to your own sisters. Hmm. I might have done a little of that myself when writing them. :)
And I agree Cloud Dancing was a charmer.

Andrea Downing said...

Thanks for bringing back the very happy memory of my daughter and I curling up for our favourite show. And giving me a good laugh about the hospital waiting room...

Beth K. Vogt said...

I was intrigued by the Dr. Quinn reference. And I loved the story of your desperate attempt to watch the show. And then I was pulled in by the plot of The Bride Wore Blue.

Mona Hodgson said...

Andrea, thanks for reading the post and for sharing your sweet memory. Any time I can help someone recall a joyous time or make them laugh, well, I'm a happy girl. :)
Happy Reading!
Mona

Anonymous said...

Ohhh I can't wait. I fell in love with the Sinclair sisters and really want to visit them again.

I would love to win!

kristine.morgan@yahoo.com

Judy said...

Loved Dr. Quinn (Jane Seymour) and Sully (Joe Lando) in Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman. That was one of the best programs on T.V. (My opinion anyway!) Of course we were all in Love with Sully were we not?!

Would love to win a copy of The Bride Wore Blue. I simply love the cover of this book. It will be great reading about the reuniting of the Sinclair Sisters. This will be another great read...I just know it!!

Blessings!
sweetpea.judy@yahoo.com

Mona Hodgson said...

Oh, Beth, thank you! It's a fun memory for me. I appreciate your interest in Vivian Sinclair's story.
Happy Reading!
Mona

Abbi Hart (gatorade635) said...

Ok no one shoot me for saying this but I've never watched Doctor Quinn. Sadly I don't even have a clue what it's about. But that being said I loved the first book in this series and have been wanting to read books 2 & 3! Thanks for the chance to win!

Mona Hodgson said...

Hi Kristine,
I do love my Sinclair Sisters fans. I can't wait for you to read Vivian's story.
Blessings,
Mona

Mona Hodgson said...

Judy, I know, doesn't WaterBrook Press do a fabulous job on the covers. Agreed, Dr. Quinn: Medicine Woman was one of the best TV shows made.
I appreciate your dedication to our Sinclair Sisters.
Happy Reading!
Mona

Mona Hodgson said...

LOL, Abbi. Carter Alwyn has my gun in The Bride Wore Blue. No one's going to shoot. But I'm excited that you have all those Dr. Quinn DVD's to add to your "want" list.
Thanks for your interest in the Sinclair Sisters.
Happy Reading!
Mona

Karen Barnett said...

I keep hoping that Netflix will add Dr. Quinn to their playlist. I suppose I wouldn't get much done if they did.

Karen Barnett
skbarnett94(at)msn(dot)com

Melissa Jagears said...

I've been going through all the Dr. Quinn's through netflix with my 5 year old. It's been fun, she enjoys them just as much as me.

Debra E. Marvin said...

Sully.
Sigh.

I don't even want to think about what those same clothes he wore week after week, month after month smelled like...but...oh Sully.
I laughed through your post, and love knowing the background you had going into this series.

I'm afraid if this was on streaming netflix, I could easily lose a day or two. Thanks for some fun memories and someone is going to get a great book!

Vickie McDonough said...

Mona,

I'm a huge Dr. Quinn fan and have been enjoying reruns that have been on cable lately. I was super sad when the show went off the air.

I enjoyed your previous Sinclair Sister's books and look forward to reading this one.

Melissa said...

Fantastic blog! I too adored Dr Quinn; still watch it every night on Inspiration and have the complete box set.

The book sounds fantastic!

melissa0908@hotmail.com

Tiffany Amber Stockton said...

Oh my goodness, Mona...did I know you were a Dr. Quinn fan? There's a faint recollection in my memory that you and I have talked about this, but boy did I get a big kick out of reading your post. A hospital waiting room, indeed. What a hoot!

If we haven't talked DQ, we're going to have to set some time aside at a conference when we're both together to do so.

Btw, anyone who IS a fan, drop by the official Dr. Quinn web site and get an additional "fix" of the show. I started running that site in 1998 in the final year of the show and have been keeping it up ever since. I also work for Jane Seymour on her web site.

And Mona, I love your series. But you don't need to enter me. Already have them. :) I try to get my hands on Colorado-set historical fiction any chance I get.

Virginia C said...

What a wonderful post! My favorite era is the American Old West of the mid to late 1800's. I have always thought that women make better doctors. We are natural nurturers and healers. We also have to deal with menstrual discomforts and childbirth. Many women love cooking and recipes, so we would be quite adept at preparing medicines and herbal remedies.

I have long admired the strength of pioneer and frontier women. Many of them had to leave their cherished keepsakes along the trail in order for the wagon loads to be lightened. There were also great personal losses along the way, and loved ones were buried where they died. The journey continued for the survivors, and people often had to band together and form new "families" in order to live from day to day.

I loved the TV show "Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman". It's one of my all-time favorites. I think that it did an excellent job of portraying the difficulties faced by woman physicians of the 19th century. Dr. Quinn incorporated many herbal medicines into her practice as a healer. She was continually learning from the Native Americans who became her friends as well as her teachers. One should never stop learning. We should always keep an open heart and a curious mind.

Mona Hodgson said...

Hi Karen, Melissa, and Debra,
Thanks for reading the post. Good to hear from you. I appreciate your interest in the Sinclair sisters.
Blessings,
Mona

Mona Hodgson said...

Hi Vicki,
I love hearing Dr. Quinn fans and from my Sinclair Sisters fans. THanks for reading the post.
Happy Reading!
Mona

Mona Hodgson said...

Hey, Melissa,
I'm glad you enjoyed the blog. I had fun writing it, and remembering . . . .
Blessings,
Mona

Mona Hodgson said...

Oh, Tiffany, I had no idea you were so entrenced in everything Dr. Quinn. How fun! I'll check out the site you mentioned.
Thanks to for your endorsement of the Sinclair SIsters of Cripple Creek books too.
Hugs,
Mona

Mona Hodgson said...

Here, here, Virginia! So glad you enjoyed the post.
I'm anxious for you to read Vivian Sinclair's story.
Happy Reading!
Mona

jtwebster books said...

I had a good giggle over you watching DQ at the hospital. Very inventive of you!

I really enjoyed the Cripple Creek books and can't wait to read the next installment. Less than a month to go - yay!

Mona Hodgson said...

Giggles are good JT, glad I could inspire them. THanks for being a Sinclair Sisters fan! Two weeks from tomorrow--Vivian's story hits the shelves.
Happy Reading!
Mona

EJ said...

Wow - would have never thot of a hospital to watch a TV show - but have to admit that we stopped once at an ER to use the bathroom when traveling during the night & couldn't find anyone else open. My family had a cabin in E. Arizona growing up - no TV's were allowed at the cabin with 1 exception - we got to watch the landing on the moon. - Elaine rejordan79@msn.com

Skeeter Jorgensen said...

I love your books, anxious to read your new release!
Skeeter Jorgensen

Mona Hodgson said...

Hi EJ,
Thanks for reading the post. Yes, we can become quite resourceful when it comes to bathroom stops and favorite TV shows.
Blessings,
Mona

Mona Hodgson said...

Hey, Skeeter! Always good to hear from a Sinclair Sisters fan. I'm excited about Vivian's story too. Dear to my heart.
Happy Reading!
Mona

joye said...

I was a faithful watcher of Dr Quinn and loved the stories. your book sounds really good. I have also traveled to Cripple Creek, Colo and it is beautiful there.

Mona Hodgson said...

Hi Joye, it's fun to meet other Dr. Quinn fans. I'll be in Cripple Creek this June to ride in the Donkey Derby Days parade. Will you be there?

Lane Hill House said...

Yes, pick me, pick me!!! I have the first two books in the series; how does it turn out???
Laughing about wondering if anyone came and asked you if you'd been waiting long?
lanehillhouse[at]centurylink[dot]net

Angie Adair said...

I loved Dr. Quinn too. Maybe that's why I enjoy Western Romance so much. I can't wait to read this book.

Mona Hodgson said...

Heeheehee, Lane. I'm not telling how it turns out. Vivian insists on doing that herself. Soon! THanks for being a Sinclair Sister fan.
Happy reading!
Mona

Mona Hodgson said...

Hi Angie,
There's nothing like Western Romance, and I love writing it. I hope you enjoy the Sinclair Sisters.
BLessings,
Mona

Mona Hodgson said...

Hi Angie,
There's nothing like Western Romance, and I love writing it. I hope you enjoy the Sinclair Sisters.
BLessings,
Mona

Tanya Hanson said...

OH, I love Dr. Quinn. Thankfully an obscure TV station on Time Warner still shows it. Sigh.

Your series sounds absolutely wonderful. I can't wait to meet the Sinclair sisters. Best of luck, Mona.

Mona Hodgson said...

Hearing from all of you is so much fun! Thanks for joining in, Tanya. I so appreciate your interest in the Sinclair sisters too. I'm anxious for you to meet them.
Happy reading!
Mona

Lane Hill House said...

Coming back to see if I won! Not too excited. Two copies!! Congratulations to the winners in advance!!
lanehillhouse[at]centurylink[dot]net

For His Glory said...

what an interesting idea to head to a hospital waiting room to watch dr quinn :-) such a shame that so many of those type shows have disappeared from our viewing line ups and that we have so little available; thus, i find my retreat often in books such as yours with settings of similar times. looking forward to "The Bride Wore Blue" and how it'll play out.

Mona Hodgson said...

Many thanks to all who commented on my Dr. Quinn Blog. I'll conduct the drawing now and let you know who won the giveaway for THE BRIDE WORE BLUE.

Mona Hodgson said...

Drum roll please . . . I'm giving away not one, but two, copies of THE BRIDE WORE BLUE, Book 3 in The Sinclair Sisters of Cripple Creek Series. The results of the drawing? Congratulations to Virginia C and Michelle, you will each receive book.
Please email Tina Dee with your contact information.
Happy Reading!
Mona

Virginia C said...

Thank you very much! I look forward to a wonderful read. I so enjoyed sharing memories with other "Dr. Quinn" devotees! I can't wait to read "The Bride Wore Blue" : )

Michelle said...

How exciting! Thank you very much! I'll be sure to read the books in order. ;-)

Mona Hodgson said...

You're welcome, Virginia and Michelle. I'm appreciate your interest in my books and I hope you enjoy the Sinclair Sisters.
Blessings,
Mona
www.monahodgson.com